8.24.2006

Free at last, free at last

For the past five weeks, I have been a prisoner. A prisoner to an IV known as a PICC line and a bag of medicine known as ganciclovir. I have had to take this IV medication at home two times a day, every day. Each time I sat down for the infusion it was a two hour ordeal. My life has revolved around medicine since the transplant but with the addition of the IV my life has been planned around those two hour blocks, one in the morning and one at night. I was up each morning for work at 4:30 to start boiling the water for my oatmeal, hook up to the IV, take my 8,000 pills, check my blood sugar, give myself my insulin shots, eat, wait for the meds to finish, then begin getting ready for a shower. Yes, I had to get ready for a shower...quite an ordeal at 6:30 AM! My mornings were crazy! AHHHH!! This morning, it was so peaceful because I got my PICC line removed when I went to the doctor yesterday. Don't get me wrong, if anyone saw my "normal" morning you would probably still think it was nuts. I am honestly on cloud nine right now because I am able to go where i want without having to drag an IV pole around the house or plan my life around the gancyclovir. Instead of the IV, they gave me two more pills to take which do the same job just not quite as effectively. They said that it was okay though now that the virus is almost gone. Now that I am out of the prison I was in, I'm looking forward to getting back out on the weekends and waking up a little later for work. It's funny the things that excite you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh, you recently left a comment on my blog & I came to check out your site. I was reading your PICC line comments & wow, I can relate! I had PSC, a liver transplant, got CMV & just finished 6 weeks of ganciclovir IVs myself. I got my PICC line out 2 days ago - hurray! Hang in there! Before you know it you won't need to keep a roll of Saran Wrap in the bathroom & you can actually go OUT in the evening. Good luck & happy healing!

Anonymous said...

hahahah! saran wrap! too funny, girl.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. I can't believe we talked all this time, and I never knew. Most people would complain all day long. Once again, you've proved that you are amazing!

Kerry Rolen

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear your life id getting a little more back to normal! Hang in there, and stay strong JC.