9.04.2007

Excitement and Nervousness!

In about 8 hours I will be leaving Dahlonega to go to Emory for a routine checkup. It is a long, lonely drive to Atlanta at 5:30 in the morning.

There is some excitement surrounding tomorrows visit. Tomorrow is another day that I get to speak to people about what it is like to be a transplant patient and how it has affected my life. I get to do another Parent Talk at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta with Jenn. These talks are a blessing for me and end up being a lot of fun and I think that everyone involved has a good time.

There is also some nervousness about tomorrow considering it has been two LONG months since my last checkup. There is always a little apprehension when going because you never know when things may be going wrong. I feel fine so I hope that everything is okay and I will be home tomorrow evening. If you get a moment, send up a little prayer for me.

There is also something that is long overdue happening that is met with both excitement, accomplishment, and it's own share of nervousness. I have written my letter to my donor family and I am going to give it to the transplant coordinator tomorrow. She will then send it to Lifelink, who will then send it to the family. I am nervous about how it will be received and I am praying that I get a response from them. I would love to meet them to thank them in person for the gift of life they have given me. I have this amazing fairy tale moment dreamed up in my ever-active imagination of meeting them and getting to hug their neck. I guess I have to leave that up to God though. It may be a few weeks before they get the letter and it may be even longer for me to hear back from them.

That is what is going on with me right now. Pray that my doctor's appointment will go well, and pray for the positive receiving of my letter. I intend to eventually post the letter sent here, but I want the family to have plenty of time to receive and read the letter before I post it here. Pray for the talk that I will be a part of tomorrow, and pray for me that I will carry out God's will in all that I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Josh

i hope all goes fine with your appointment!

btw, thanks for this web log. It really gives hope to those who have liver issues, are pre-transplant, and so on.

to me, this blog is an incredibly impressive witness of what strength of will, self discipline and a good strong character can accomplish.

all the best for you
Joachim

Transplants, Facts, Thoughts and Opinions said...

Josh,

OMG, you've written your thank you letter. GREAT!

I have NOT written one yet, as I see at as the most difficult thing I will ever have tried. I have no idea where to start, or what to say.

I came across your blog recently and added it as a favorite.

I think we all have many of the same things going through our minds on different days.

DAP

Josh Carpenter said...

Joachim, thanks for your comment. The appointment went well.

DAP, the letter was the hardest thing I have ever written. I had to realize that I would never find the perfect words, but that the family could probably use what words I could muster. I just sat down one day, said what was in my head, and sent the letter off. It was difficult but the feeling of relief is awesome!