4.30.2007

One more year....


Yesterday was a somber day for it to be the day on which I was born. Maybe my transplantiversary held so much fanfare that my real birthday paled in comparison. I don't know what it was that made the day different, but it was.

It was my first birthday since I have been back on my feet and the first birthday that I was told I might not get to celebrate. I was not upset, sad, or anything of the like just reflective. Maybe some of the emotion of the transplant is just now starting to hit me.

I don't want to come off as not enjoying yesterday because it was a great day. Heck, it was a great weekend and I did absolutely nothing! Mowing the grass, sitting on the couch, a soccer game, church, eating, and a new bible study made for one of the best weekends I have had in a long time.

I was thinking yesterday about how far I have come in a year. Many times I lose sight of that when I have a goal and I want to meet it now. On my birthday last year, I was in my cousin's wedding with 56 staples in my stomach unable to stand up straight. I was tired walking from the back of the church to the front and thought I was going to pass out more than one time during the ceremony. I was yelled at for picking up my little cousin when she came running to me and constantly asked if I was okay. In contrast to last year, I spent yesterday sore from a heavy leg workout on Friday and from playing in an alumni soccer game on Saturday.

It is still hard to believe how far God has brought me in a year. I try not to get too religious on this blog, but as a Christian I feel that I need to thank God publicly for the gift that he blessed me with and for the health that he restored. I feel a bit like Job after everything had been taken from him and restored to him double what he had. I have been given a new life and I intend to live it double what I did the first one for Christ. There have been a lot of people pray for me and help out along the way in various ways. To those people, I want to say thank you for everything, the money, the phone calls, the prayers, the support, the questions, the smiles, and so many other things.

To the family who was able to show the greatest compassion to me that anyone ever has in their greatest time of need, I say thank you. I have no doubt that, short a miracle from God, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for their unselfish decision. I hope that one day I will get to meet them and thank them for donating their loved ones organs to me and possibly others.

As Donate Life month draws to a close, I urge everyone who reads this blog to donate your organs upon your death. Sign a card, tell your family you want to be a donor, and be a hero to a few of the 95,000+ people on the transplant waiting lists. Transplantation works!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated BDay Josh! Sometimes I read your blog & I almost think I'm reading my own.

I get where you are coming from - about the BDay, reflecting on life pre & post transplant, how it all strengthens your faith.

My BDay was around the 6 mth anniversary of my Tx & I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude but it was more serious than celebratory. I wondered how I could ever do enough to make up for the gift I'd been given.

It's also odd bcuz you realize you're "normal" again. Suddenly your life isn't all about being sick & in it's own way that's difficult to adjust to also.

As for God, I applaud you for expressing your faith. I've always believed in God but felt it was a personal thing & feared I'd be seen as a 'holy roller' or turn folks off to religion if I talked openly about it amongst my friends, coworkers, etc.

I believe God is at his best when we are at our worst. Bad things are going to happen, but God will be with us every step of the way.

So, God's Blessings as you celebrate another year of life. Perhaps part of his purpose for you having PSC & the liver transplant was so you'd create this web site & thru it help other people. Take Care and stay healthy & happy! :-)