4.15.2007

Donate Life Walk

On Saturday, I made my way to Jasper to take part in walk to support organ donation. I was able to meet a few new people who have had a transplant (victim's...as some people call us). I always enjoy meeting new people who have been affected by organ donation and transplantation. There were a couple of recipients there with their donor families. This was a neat experience to see them together. It made me start thinking that I really need to begin writing my letter. (more on that later)

The turnout for the walk was not what was expected because of the warning for rain. The rain held off and we had a great time walking through town letting people know about organ donation. I want to thank everyone who donated some money to me. I ended up raising $500 that I turned over to the people in charge of the walk to give to the Georgia Transplant Foundation. I received an email late yesterday saying that they had raised about $2000 total.

After taking part in the walk, I am considering trying to get something going to support organ donation. I am not sure what that will be and I do not know what it entails to get something like that up. I know that it would be a HUGE undertaking, but I can always use one more thing to keep me busy! Maybe I will post more on this in a future blog. If any of you have any ideas, email me or leave them as a comment on this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh,

A quick note to tell you I just discovered your blog and found it an amazing read. I'm thankful you've gone to the effort to document your experiences.

I'm from Australia. My Dad had a double lung transplant back in May 06, so he's almost at his 1 yr mark. The similarities between your stories are amazing, the transplant gift is such a monumental event I guess ties all recipients, regardless of what organ, together.

Funnily enough I found you by Googling 'transplant recipients hard times', his blog was only two results below yours! If you want, check it out, it goes back to the moment he got the phone call as well..

http://benbrian.blogspot.com

I've forwarded on your blog address to him. No doubt he'll be interested to read it as well!

If you want to reply just pop me an email at pauly007 [AT] gmail.com.

Again, thanks for the read and good luck. Without even realising it you've made that 'ripple' reach us on almost the other side of the world!


Paul.