2.11.2007

Therapy

Preachers Rock 2/10 3

Today, I did what I have been wanting to do for a long time. I went back to one of my favorite places, Preacher's Rock. This was one of those places that I went to a lot when I first found out that I had a liver disease and it seemed my life was changing for the worse. If nothing else, it seemed at that time like my life was in a blender and I had no idea what this drink was going to taste like when the blades stopped. I used to go up there to just sit and clear my head. It is one of those places for me that I can "breathe." From this rock, the world, it's problems, my problems, and even I seem insignificant. This is the ultimate meaning for the metaphor of being "on a mountain" versus "in the valley." Life seems okay and good when I am up on the mountain and the problems "down there" seem to melt away. I haven't been up there in a little over two years and it was so much better than I remember. I am sure that nothing really has changed in those two years, but my memory had failed me at just how beautiful it is "in my little heaven." I have had some tough times alone on that rock, some arguments with God and myself, as well as some good times with God I will never forget. There are a lot of my feelings up on that rock and today more were left. This time I am glad to say that they were positive feelings.

I went up there today with a purpose of getting a picture of me, an organ transplant survivor, for Kim, a lady who lost her son to cancer shortly after receiving a liver transplant. She is now a strong proponent for organ donation and shares the story of her son, Willam McMahon, with countless others. Kim had sent me a shirt and asked that I take a picture wearing it. I decided I would go back to my favorite place, a place I would never have been able to return to without a new liver. I am glad that I did. I was able to find my center again and realize that what I am going through, though tough and sometimes aggravating, is not so bad. I was able to have some quiet time up there and reflect on how good God has been to me. I was able to say a prayer for Kim and to think about William. This is a public thank-you to Kim, for the shirt and for giving me the reason to return to "my little piece of heaven." I encourage you to read William's story.

If you are not an organ donor, I encourage you to become one. By donating your organs, you could save up to fifty lives.

3 comments:

Sarah's Blog said...

Hey Josh,
You continue to amaze me. Even though you've been through so much you are always thinking of others and putting their needs and hurts before your own. I'm blessed to know you. Thank you for sharing William's story with me. It has brought me to the reality of how precious life really is.

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh. I have never been so amazed at how great you are until reading this, you are the most amazing man i have ever had the chance to talk to. This and Williams story put me into tears and help me realize a lot of things about myself i needed to evaluate. i love you more than words can say josh.
always yours,
les

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of you, it shows that you really do have so much a head of you and that the oppertunities are endless. I know we don't talk anymore but your words never fail to inspire me.
Thanks Josh
*JB