2.23.2007

March 7 - Parent Q&A

Well, I have been kind of dry lately. Not so much across the board, but about organ donation and anything to write on here. As always, I have plenty to say but I am trying to keep this blog semi-focused. I am still wondering about the direction it will take. I am sure that it will still focus on organ donation, struggles with transplantation, others going through the process, and me as well. I am just wondering if I need to expand it a little to include some of my bigger thoughts about other things that I feel should be shared. I don't know. Guess I will ponder it more. Any feedback would be appreciated as well.

As for me, I am doing well. I got a couple of weeks off of going to the doctor which is great. My truck is thanking me that is for sure. I changed my oil 3 weeks ago and have driven 1900 miles since then. I didn't realize I was on the road that much until I started logging it.

I am looking forward to March 7 with much anticipation and nervousness. I have never been really good at talking in front of people, though in the past 4 or 5 years I have forced myself to do it a great deal. For those that know me can attest to the fact that I am painfully shy when the group gets above 3 or 4. I basically shut down in the conversation that is taking place.

On March 7, I am going to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta to speak to a group of parents. I will be on a panel of 7 young adult organ transplant recipients answering questions for parents of children who are waiting for a transplant. We will be telling them how transplantation has affected our lives. I feel for these parents who are no doubt worried about whether their child will be able to live a normal life. I am not a parent and don't really understand that side of the card, but I do remember how nervous I was about my own life changing. I am happy to say that it has been the catalyst for the improvement in my quality of life. I have taken up some things that I had given up when I was sick and also made some changes in my life that are much healthier. I hope that through this experience, the parents will be more at ease with how their children will live post-transplant. I am exciting about the opportunity to speak, but I am nervous about opening up in a public setting. I say a lot on this blog that I would never say in person; it is easy to hide behind the computer screen!

Guess I wasn't as dry as I thought.

1 comment:

causaleffect said...

It's great that you have an audience. Put your speech on paper then on little cards with the main subjects. Put details on another seperate piece of paper.
PRACTICE your speech. I know this isn't a college class, but in my opinion, treat it that way.
Let you rfeeling come out. They might really want to know what their children will be feeling so they can help them. That is what every parent wants to do. HELP thier children. When we (parents) don't know what's wrong, we can't fix it and it frustrates us.