3.08.2007

Q&A update

Yesterday was the Q&A at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. It went surprisingly well even though I could barely talk! It never fails that I lose my voice on the days that I am required to talk in front of people. Oh well, it was a very informal support group type meeting so no big deal. I think that Jenn and I did a pretty good job and hopefully calmed some of the parent's fears. I feel for the parents of these children who are never going to know a life without medication and doctor's appointments. I hope that seeing Jenn and me as productive citizens post-transplant will give them hope for their children to live fulfilling lives.

We got some good feedback from some of the people running the show and have invited us back for something similar in the future. I can't wait to go again. I honestly think I could do that everyday. It has been exciting meeting so many people here lately who are passionate about organ donation and transplantation. I admire each one of them, but some have never even been directly affected, those I really admire. They have a love and a passion for others that hopefully one day I will realize. They amaze me.

18 days until my 1st transplantiversary!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the Q&A going so well (despite the lack of a voice). I can't even imagine what it must be like to have a child in need of a transplant. The experience is frightening enough as an adult. How do you explain it to a child? I'm sure seeing & hearing from you helped them all.

I attended a 'Donate Life' training session yesterday & like your experience, found it inspiring. I met transplant recpients, parents, and donor families. I left feeling so excited & emotional. It's amazing what happens when you get together a group of people that are so passionate about a good cause.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts & experiences. I enjoy your site!

Janine said...

I love that you said you could do that everyday! Makes me smile. What if you do one day...You are a teacher and a good communicator...although you lost your voice. Sorry. :) I'm so glad it was a great experience. Remember these early events...they will become a blur as you continue to seek and find how God wants to use you. Your talents and life experiences are for his glory, and you best believe he'll put them to work if the body is willing...and you aren't only willing, you're taking steps. Congrats! Proud of you. Janine